Wednesday 20 February 2013

Layers....fabric, plastic, heat and stitch

This week I've been experimenting with layering up stuff.one of the GCSE exam themes is 'Layers' and two students are exploring this theme. We've been talking and experimenting with layering up plastics and also sheer translucent fabrics to shade and layer to create interest.

I found some coloured acetate at the Scrap Store in St Austell, Cornwall (a secret treasure trove!) and I've been cutting it up and layering it and fusing it with the iron. Also we've been cutting shapes out of sheer chiffon and organza with the soldering iron. Seem of the nicest effects are just layering up what's to hand and not over thinking it too much. Anyway, here's some examples of what I've been doing.

 

 

Heat transfer on synthetic polyester, then chopped up with the soldering iron and pinned onto soluble fabric then stitched. I forgot to take a photo of it once the soluble was when away. I will upload next time. The last one with the black circles is dyed synthetics, layered up with heat transferred crystal organza and heat transferred scraps.

Solder cut black sheer fabric circles fused with blue heat transferred solder cut circles. I put these between baking paper and fused them together with the iron. I left the iron too long and they started to disintegrate! They did hold together anyway and I pinned it onto soluble fabric and stitched into it. It's still in the stitchy stage on soluble because I don't know what it's going to become!

The last orange and blue pic is heat transferred fabric with heat transferred plastic ( yes the heat transfer paints work on fused plastic too!!) stitched into on soluble.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment