Sunday 31 March 2013

Polymer clay

Recently I've been playing around with polymer clay as I'm dying to try out porcelain. I don't have access to a kiln however and so polymer clay is my first step. It's actually a great product to use though I think people can be a bit sniffy about it as its actually plastic rather than proper ceramic. I use plastic and recycled stuff in my textile work anyway though, and its something I can work with quickly and easily at home and afford to try out and make mistakes with.


I wanted to created plain matt white textured pieces either for jewellery or textile work. These are the things I made with just a single packet of £1.25 fimo! I'm loving the effects. I want to stitch into textured pieces, and so far I've only tried colouring it with embedding pigmented lace in and peeling off once its baked. The brooch just below also has a sterling silver circle embedded in it. Lots more polymer clay experimentation to come!

Brooch. Polymer clay, sterling silver, pigment
This necklace below is made with soldered and hammered sterling silver links, polymer clay lace piece, green agate and freshwater pearl.


 

1 comment: