Thursday 10 January 2013

My new blog!

Heat Transfer experiments!

Yesterday I spent hours playing around with heat transfer paints. These paints are just magic and produce amazing unexpected results!

I painted up some sheets of photocopy paper, let them dry and the chopped them up or tore strips and used them with leaves to create these. You have to use synthetic fabric really for vivid colours, on cotton they work a bit but are much more muted.

Flipping the leaves over means you get the colour on the back of the leaf...

I'm going to hand stitch into these with a shiny thread I think. I tried machine stitch but it overpowers them a bit I think. They need just delicate treatment. Then I'll mount them on canvas.







My biggest breakthrough though was using them on leather. I had some very delicate pale grey offcuts which take the colour beautifully, though the results are more muted. These paints are meant for synthetic. But I love how the leather pieces turned out, and I much prefer the shapes. I don't really do regular...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment